New Cabinet Technology
One of the disadvantages with soda blasting in a cabinet has always been visibility. Soda is dusty and without a cabinet that can move air through it quickly (especially near the viewing window), visibility can be challenging. Clemco Industries has released their High Performance Bicarbonator System (the video above was shot in this cabinet). In the video above even at 80 PSI visibility is not a problem like it has been in the past particularly at higher pressures. The cabinet has unique features including its Clearview high ventilation technology that evacuates the media out of the cabinet before dust clouds can build up in it. There are modifications to the blast pot to keep media agitated to prevent it from clumping up if moisture gets in the system from compressed air.
Soda Blasting Formulations
Not all baking soda is equal! Midvale offers Armex made by Church and Dwight the premier sodium bicarbonate for blasting. We have partnered with Armex, to offer our customers high quality soda that is sized for consistency and because multiple formulations are available for specific applications and industrial conditions. Formulations include those with flow agents where humidity is a concern, larger crystal formulations for more aggressive products, and blends with aluminum oxide for particular automotive remanufacturing applications.
Advantages of Soda Blasting
- Soda blasting has always been a good option for the automotive parts remanufacturing industry. Some of the advantages of using baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) for blasting are as follows.
- Soda is non-destructive to most surfaces because it is softer than the surface substrate but harder than the coating or containment (grease, carbon, etc) it is removing
- Crack detention is made easier because it does not fold metal edges over cracks when blasting
- Unlike other abrasive that can get trapped in small passages in a part and later cause part failure, baking soda dissolves in liquids and can be circulated through the part without damage
- It preserves the surface integrity and dimensional integrity of the part
- Works well in wet blasting system, enabling it to wash the part without the use of potential harsh solvents and chemicals